Oregon’s School System
Oregon’s K-12 School System consists of many organizations:
- Oregon Department of Education (ODE)
- Led by an elected Superintendent of Public Instruction
- The Board of Education guides the Department.
- Education Service Districts (ESD)
- Every school district falls within some one of the 19 ESDs.
- Each ESD has its own board.
- School Districts (197)
- Oregon’s school districts range in size from fewer than 25 students all the way to several with over 40,000 students.
- Each district makes its own decisions about its facilities and facilities funding.
- Each district has its own board.
- Schools (Public, Charter)
- All public schools are part of a school district
- Each charter school belongs to some one of the schools districts. Charter schools provide their own facilities and have their own board.
- Independent Schools
- Oregon has many independent schools
The Plan and related documents:
The Oregon Environmental Literacy Plan: Toward a Sustainable Future (October 2010)
Updated Chapter 3: “Educational Standards and Graduation Requirements” (Dec 2011)
Alignment to Oregon Education Standards (Dec 2011)
Alignment At-A-Glance (Dec 2011)
Sustainability Education Week
National Sustainability Education Week takes place every 2nd week of November. For each of the last 3 years Oregon’s governor has proclaimed this to be Sustainability Education Week in Oregon as well.
View Governor Kitzhaber’s proclamation of the 3rd annual Sustainability Education Week: November 7-11, 2012.